Some proofs of plates
it took a while to sort out the pressure on the letterpress – the hazard of working with squashy materials. I used red for most of the proofs, because black is boring and the blue ink gets everywhere.
I’ll have another go at straighting these up when I aquire an image of the HEMA flrs.
there are just enough images of the process to document it, most got turned into finished images if a little wonky.
First I printed all the separate blocks onto paper to see how they looked. Then I offset* print ed the flowers and the vase/leaves onto another piece of foam which I would cut into to make the shadows. *offset I printed onto paper first, then onto the foam, so that it would be the same way around as the block.
It takes about a week for the ink to dry on the paper between printings. I started off with six nice sheets of paper which I printed up with the shadow. In the following week and a half, I lost one sheet and printed up the other two blocks. I mixed up a new green using the blue/violet ink and lots of yellow. For the flowers themselves I used the original blue with some white mixed in.